2/7/07

PULL UP A CHAIR




So. I stared at the bowls and platters and Hal's two CHAIN SAWED chairs (the one to the left is carved out of one piece of red oak and is about three feet high) for a few weeks wondering I could sell them...and him, as outsider art. I went to last year's Outsider Art show at the Puck building, got the booklet of galleries, and feebly started making calls. Are you accepting new work, I enquired of the Phyllis Kind Gallery. No, came the answer. The woman at the Andrew Edlin Gallery was actually kind enough to invite me to email pictures, which I did, but...guess it wasn't quite right. And then I just dithered some more, because selling my brother's work is not what I do, alas.
So he took his work back and the next thing I knew, literally--he'd gotten a gallery show with one other artist, a photographer, at Donskoj Gallery in Kingston, one of the oldest galleries in Kingston, and not far from where I grew up. The show was great--one piece sold the night of the show to one of his treework customers for $400, the opening itself was packed (and this on a rainy night--had more people than some openings I've been to in NY). I brought 2 shopping bags of cheese, for no good reason (guess I was afraid they wouldn't have cheese in Kingston). The show was extended another month, and he has some pieces in a group show there this month. I haven't been up, don't know what's in it, but if you're up there, stop in.

No comments: